Friday, December 7, 2012

We will overcome, by the blood of the lamb and the word of our testimony.

  I offended people today.  I spoke up about the death of an industry that has provided for our community for decades.  The coal industry.  I didn't speak ill about it.  In fact it's fed my family.  My husband is a railroad conductor for CSX...or he was..until this past November.  Their main freight in this area...obviously..coal. There's a reason I am so confident about  the future of my family...my friends...and our area. Let me explain.
  This past Wednesday I attended refuel at Journey Church on Main St. Ben, our preacher, spoke about how we all have a story, a past..God has brought us through.  Basically, how do you know you'll be alright?  Now, I know not everyone reading this attends church, is a Christian or knows the story of Job.  So, bare with me.  Job was a man who lost all he had.  Not just his way of making money..but his family...his property.  I know a lot in this community are feeling loses.  I am one of them.  So, to meet the challenge Ben gave us to tell our story...our testimony....here it goes.
  I lost my Mom at age 11.  Not to an illness or anything foreseen...but a house fire.  An 11 year old girl who just lost her Mom, you know I was angry...terrified...and SO depressed.  Do I believe it was God's doing...absolutely!  But from that I developed a great relationship with my Dad AND my Mom's family who I had never really known.  I had to grow up fast...but God was there..looking back I can see how he met me in that dark time.  In every situation...even when I was mad at him.  Even when I didn't understand what was going on.   Because I wasn't there in that fire....nope.  I was saved from that.  And so was my Dad.  I could be angry that he took her...but i'm not.  He saw me through it...and it was her time.  She was a christian and I know she wouldn't trade this for that.. not for anything.
  Fast forward to 19.  Harlow and I bought our first house!  A beautiful 2000 sq ft house just 45 minutes from Virginia Beach.  Perfection in wood...huge porch...big yard..big living room with a fireplace.  Close enough to Richmond to be convenient but far enough away to not be bothered.  We were SO happy with our purchase.  It was home...for the first time since my previous house went up in flames...I felt at home.  This was in 2007...JUST before the mortgage bubble popped.  Being young and dare I say...dumb..or..well green...we had never heard of an ARM aka adjustable rate mortgage.  The payment went up within the first 3 months...and after you added the insurance..$1300.00 a month.  Which was fine...just fine.  Until Harlow lost his job...our very first CSX furlough!  The first month....I didn't panic...until we caught word that this furlough was going to last awhile.  And if you're not familiar with railroading...ALL you get is word of mouth about things to come.  Looking back...that word was right on!  It took 2 years to call those men back.  Now, we had an out.  We had a home here...in Hazard...family, ready and willing to welcome us back..to help..with open arms!  So...I put our house up for rent...to a nice couple who signed every page I asked them to sign of their lease.  Handed me a check for $1800.00 as a deposit and we loaded a big UHAUL and drove away from that home for the last time.
  Harlow hadn't been with CSX long enough to get unemployment..so I took a job at the first place that called me back..SYKES.  I made nothing compared to what he made before and at the time we had 2 kids. But we always managed to make it.  Little did I know the sweet couple who was renting our house had written me a cold check and had NO intention of ever paying rent.  After not hearing from them for 3 months I finally had to call the cops in the area and have them check to see if they were even still occupying the residence.  Now...you do the math...3 months behind on a mortgage I couldn't possibly pay..while trying to pay bills that I had acquired when we were actually making decent pay...yeah.  Here's where we make a tough decision....struggle and try to pay debt we can't possibly pay...or meet with a lawyer and face the inevitable.  I still have nightmares of the number....quarter of a million dollars in debt....and I did it in 1 year of being legal!  That has to be a record right?  Anyway...we filed bankruptcy.  Bankrupt at 19!  And glad of it.  I had an ulcer and the stress was killing my marriage.  Looking back now...I see God in that dark time.  I had family...I had food....my kids were loved and provided for.  Maybe not in the manner they were accustomed to...but they were taken care of.  And I vowed back then to NEVER set my bar according to what others thought was success.  Because when it came down to it...I left that house on a table in a courtroom...and didn't blink.  What mattered to me were the people I loved.  And I NEVER have to buy them.
  Now we're back in Hazard...and guess what!  CSX called Harlow to work in Ashland.  21/2 hours away from our home in Hazard.  It was a job with benefits..so...he took it!  And the driving and the going with no sleep got difficult.  So he marked up on a board in Martin, KY..just 45 minutes from our house.  (Again, sorry for the railroad speak...but basically he could work in Martin)  Still a drive...but...we were home...we had a place to live thanks to my Dad...and our kids were taken care of.  We made it through.  It looked like we were losing it all....but that bankruptcy saved our marriage.  Without that happening we wouldn't have our 2 youngest boys..Weston and Sawyer.
  There are many other ways God has met me in dark times.  Medical problems...marital problems...a couple car accidents and an 11 month long furlough since the first.  But I already feel naked...so...we'll leave it as it is.  The reason I am so confident...and maybe a little cocky..is that God has seen me through everything.  I am here.  I am happy....I am provided for and I am strong!  And I praise the God who continues to meet me in EVERY challenge and hard situation I am in.  And I really hope this comes across in the tone I mean it to.  I love you all....and God loves you all.  Have faith..and a little creativity to view this as what it is.  A new beginning and a fresh start to something bigger and better.
 

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can honestly say i've never felt more naked than after I hit publish on this post. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete