Sunday, November 25, 2012

A new stool for Weston

Our toddler, Weston is just learning to use the potty.  He needed a new step stool so he could reach the potty to flush and wash his hands by himself.  We try to promote as much independence as possible. The problem is....a good step stool is hard to find!  We've had plastic ones....AND wooden ones. But as i've come to find out..even the wooden ones we find in department stores are poor quality and seem to break under the daily use and abuse of my little ones.  Harlow, that sweet SWEET man went through his scrap wood pile and found some pieces that would be perfect for what I want.  A STURDY STEP STOOL!  One to last until our youngest no longer needs one.  How many step stools has this woman had to buy to be causing her this must frustration...over something so seemingly mundane.....TOO MANY my friends...way too many!  SO here's some photos of Harlow at work.  No set plans (we didn't have any..just wen with what we had)....and this is what we ended up with.
Harlow had so much help with this project!  Natalie, Aiden and Weston LOVE "helping" Daddy with his woodworking.
 I love wood!  I really do.  rough cut and all pretty and sanded like this.  Watching scrap pieces of wood coming together to make something useful.

 Now here's where I got crafty.  We don't own a wood burning tool.  And i really wanted a carved out look to this stool.  SOOOO I got to thinking..if I took white paint and used choppy quick brush strokes and painted the words to LOOK like a carving...it just might get me the look I want.
 Once it was all phrased up Harlow stained over my lettering with our favorite stain "mission oak".  And here is what we got!!!
 I LOVE it!  And I can't wait to give the finished stool to the kids tomorrow morning.

Thanks Papa Bear!  You never fail to give me exactly what we need!

No comments:

Post a Comment