Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Strep throat and maternity jeans!

  Sometimes I fight the universe.  It's true!  I demand positive things!  I try to keep positive thoughts on my mind...and positive words in my mouth.  The latter is a bit hard.  ANYWAY...our family has been fighting a cold.  A nasty one...headaches...ear aches...scratchy throats.  It's fall..so silly me just assumes allergies and weather changes are to blame.  But...in the back of my mind there's this tiny voice saying.."it's strep...oh gosh...what if it's strep!".  There are 2 common illnesses that I fear.  A stomach virus and STREP THROAT!  If they get into our home it seems like they linger for weeks!  Strep throat requires everyone going to the doctor($$$..and well, have you ever tried taking 3 or 4 kids to the doctor in the same day?)....everyone getting medicine($$$)....everyone feeling cranky and crappy....time out of school..basically a bad time all around.  AND IT LINGERS.  It's WAY worse when it's a one at a time deal.  But in this instance we lucked out!
    Harlow decided he was going to the doctor this morning after dropping off the kids.  I refused.  I was thinking positive thoughts and deciding that we all just had a sinus infection and would get well on our own.  Fighting the universe!  Ace was going to go with him but decided he felt better at the last minute so...off to school he went.( Parents of children in his class...I apologize!). *sigh*
   I waited at home...feeling awful with my sore throat and headache.  The phone rings around 9 am....it's Harlow...out of the doctors office..it's strep.  AWESOME!  Just awesome!  So, I went to find some clothes to put on...Now, I just had Sawyer 4 weeks ago.  So..why I decided to pull out my pre-pregnancy skinny jeans I don't know!  I got one leg in....HA..pulled them off and sadly walked back in my closet to find my maternity jeans.  Tops don't fit either so instead of putting on a maternity top (I REFUSE!) I grabbed one of Harlows sweaters and pulled it on.  Maternity jeans and my husbands shirt...I have pretty high self confidence..but lets be honest, any woman would be feeling lousy at this point!
   We put the toddler and baby in the van and Harlow drove us to the clinic.  Once we're there I realize that I will have to be weighed.  I actually got pretty excited to see what the scales read! ( I won't give you guys a number...but lets just say i'll go through a couple pairs of running shoes before I get back into those skinny jeans! ) And answer questions like "Are you still breastfeeding?" ..(No, wish I was...but my body fails at that soooo)...and "Do you drink?" ( No...but now that you mentioned it! )
  When we got back in our room I tried busying Weston with magazines and songs.  I'm so blessed that we never have to wait long at our doctors office.  They came right in and we were out with the sad diagnosis that we, too, have strep!  Awesome...so now it's 3 out of 6.
   We went straight to the school...checked the kids out and headed straight back to the clinic.  SURPRISE SURPRISE 5 out of 6 now!  After spending FOREVER in CVS we're now home.  With antibiotics, new toothbrushes and tylenol.  AND this...

   Yes, folks...that is a coffee cup of cheap wine.  :)  I don't think I could end this day any better!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment